Boys vs. Girls

I was reading in Parents magazine yesterday about how boys and girls are different (I know, shocking!). They said most of the differences are biological, contrary to the theories that differences are based solely on socialization. We do tend to treat girls and boys differently, however, comforting little girls more when they get hurt, etc. One doctor said we tend to hug little boys less as they grown up than we do little girls. This can cause boys to act aggressively because they crave that physical touch. I thought that was interesting. It's a good thing to keep in mind, although we don't have to worry about this anytime soon, seeing as how Caleb gets LOTS of hugs and kisses every day. (I'm just waiting for the day he tells me that's gross...until then I kiss away!)
Mom and I were talking the other day and she commented that we didn't know what to think when we found out we were going to have a boy. My family only knows girls, since I just have a sister. But now we can't imagine what it would be like without our sweet Caleb. He is so much fun! We figured out what to do with a boy, I guess! :-)




4 Comments:
When I found out I was pregnant with a boy, I was devastated. I wanted another girl so badly; all the pretty clothes, and playing dress-up and fixing hair...
Now that my daughter is 13 (and not as hug-hungry as she once was) I'm wondering if having all boys wouldn't be a good thing. LOL! My little man (9 now) is a loving guy and so sweet. Mama is still his girl and I just eat it up with a spoon! Yeah, boys are great. Hug 'em lots!
Thanks for stopping by She Lives, I hope you found something of value there and will visit often.
The gender debate is always so interesting! I'm subbing now, and being back in the classroom just reinforces what I have always believed -- that girl students are almost always easier to handle than boy students! It seems like I smile more at the girls and raise my eyebrows more at the boys. Hmmmm... I definitely am not doing it consciously, but as I reflect I can see that even today at the high school that happened. Could it be that high school boys belch and call each other names that I won't type in your blog more often than girls? Uh, yeah! I think so. :-) That's at least part of the reason! It's food for thought to think about how they end up at that point.
I love you!!!!! You guys always look so good in your pictures.
Yeah--what does science know! 26 years ago, before my hubby and I were parents....we felt the same way. THEN, our daughter, next our son arrived...and did we get a lesson in humility! We bought our daughter and son each a truck and a doll (wanting to prove our college-smart point!). Our daughter made a comfy little crib in the back of the truck and laid her little dolly in it--talking sweetly to it all the way. Our son--made a race track in the living room and drove OVER the doll as the finish line--over and over and over again. So much for nature vs. nurture! Boys and girls are different but each are totally amazing!
Keep kissing them--even when they think it's G.R.O.S.S!
Diane
I wanted a girl so badly that I was in denial ... well, not really, but ... what smoothed things over was that sweet face and his blue eyes ... my heart melted. And my husband's aunt told me that little boys LOVE their mammas soooooo much (like Faith said!).
We smother Hunter with kisses and hugs too! And even when he tells me that's gross ... he's still getting kisses and hugs from his mommy!
Post a Comment
<< Home