Flying--Need Advice
We need some advice over here. Late this month we'll be flying to see hubby's family. We have never taken Caleb on a plane and don't really know what to expect. It's only a 2 1/2 hour flight, but he is SUPER active, which worries me a little (okay, a lot!).
So, have any of you ever flown with a 10-month-old and have some great ideas?
Any suggestions for keeping him happy/occupied in the airport and on the plane?
(If you don't have any suggestions, but you know someone who's flown with a baby, ask them for advice. We need some!)
Thanks in advance!
So, have any of you ever flown with a 10-month-old and have some great ideas?
Any suggestions for keeping him happy/occupied in the airport and on the plane?
(If you don't have any suggestions, but you know someone who's flown with a baby, ask them for advice. We need some!)
Thanks in advance!




6 Comments:
Since we just moved halfway across the country, and all our family is still on the east coast, Elijah has flown 4 times already this year... Here's what worked for me.
1. I nurse him on the way up and down to help with his ears and calm him down.
2. I LOVE my sling for a nursing cover-up and to carry him through the airport. (www.hotsling.com)
3. Bring a receiving blanket (or two) to use as a pillow, burp cloth, or blanket (it can get cold on those planes!)
4. Ditto to earlier comments about new toys and snacks. I like toys that have loops so you can attach them to you. So when he throws them, they won't actually hit that nasty floor.
5. Change of clothes for him and you, in case he gets sick.
6. Instead of my usual diaper bag, I use my school back pack. It has tons of compartments, bottle holders on each side, and I can carry it on my back (two free hands).
7. Try to get a window seat so he can look out the window. Yesterday on the flight home E loved raiding and lowering the shade.
Good luck! I hope you have a fun trip--- If I think of anymore I'll pass them along.
Does Caleb sit still for movies? Because I wonder if a portable DVD player would capture his attention? I've been wanting to get Finding Nemo because I've been "told" that the colors captivate even the littlest ones!
Of course, if he's anything like Hunter, he'll prefer to entertain himself with the remote control ... and BAAAH to the video.
Good luck!
Oh girly, I was seriously going to write a book on this. I have been on so many plane rides with baby and toddler I lost count. I've even flown to Europe and Hawaii with babies! Before I bog down your comment section with my tips/suggestions, answer these questions first. And give me your email address (on my blog if you want) and I'll email you my tips.
Bottle or breastfeeding?
Lay overs, one or none?
Are you taking a car seat for the final destination?
Time of day?
One adult or two?
You've gotten some good advice. You should also post back any specific questions or concerns you have, and we'll try to cover those.
When Amanda was a baby, I flew with her (even by myself--yikes), several times around this age, and we have flown with Kyle at that age, too.
The very best thing, if possible, is to have a seat for them. If it is possible to purchase one, even at this late date, that would be my recommendation. When we had to go back to TX for my dh's grandfather's funeral, Kyle was a very active 1 1/2 year old. Dh decided that we should buy him a seat, and if we hadn't, I might have gone crazy. The reason is that he could stay strapped into his car seat, which was much easier than convincing him to stay in my lap. We did travel with him as a lap baby at one, but before he was walking, and that was borderline okay. So, this might just be a consideration if you fly again. The other thing is that you can go online and view the seating chart/availability for your flight. It might be better to move to the back of the plane, and put your husband in an aisle, and you in the window. They are unlikely to assign someone to that middle seat unless it reaches capacity, and then you would have extra room, and they will even let you bring his carseat on, even if you didn't buy the seat.
I'm with Laura on the snacks. That occupied my kids, so I stuffed them full if they wanted them. And yes, be sure you have plenty of juice/formula whatever prepared. I didn't care if it wasn't on their schedule while we were flying.
And also about toys. Something new (and quiet) is great. When Kyle was just over one, I got this great Thomas magnetic book at Target just for the trip, and it was awesome!
I agree about the umbrella stroller, too, and you can just check it at the gate, that way you can put him right in it when you get off and are going through the airport.
Oh--I forgot the most important thing. Don't worry. Really. My dh gets stressed out about them making noise (which is why I sometimes don't mind when I'm coming back alone without him.
Don't worry about the other passengers. I mean, you've done your best to prepare and think ahead. I especially don't worry about happy noises--laughs or screams or whatever. It might be loud, but it's not going to really bother anyone.
I'm always one to share my opinion, and um, you asked. : )
It has been awhile since I flew with a baby (mine is 8 yrs old now!) but I remember one thing not to do! Do not listen to your doctor when they tell you to give the baby benedryl so they will sleep on the plane (Unless you have given said baby benedryl before and you KNOW that it will make them sleepy!) It made my daughter hyper, not sleepy and the trip was much rougher! Otherwise, I second all the above advice. Do the best you can and don't worry abut other people.
Post a Comment
<< Home